Sometimes it would be resolvable and other times not, it depends if
the host has reported itself to the DNS server previously and it's
still in the bind cache after going down. I suspect that this is
happening if the host is down and there is no IP for it in the DNS
tables, but that's just guess work on my part.

1.4.20 is the haproxy version we are running.

The name lookup during health checks + not erroring out on start-up,
seems like this would correct the problem. Currently, it seems haproxy
is rather unsafe to use for a dynamic dhcp+dns farm setup.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers