On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Brent Clark <brentgclarkl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I wonder if someone will be able to tell me if haproxy will fix my issue.
>
> I just have two servers, running heartbeat, LVS, and apache2.
>
> The problem I have, is that if I make HTTP calls to the VIP from the nodes
> themselves, I experience time outs.
>
> There is no firewall rules or anything that is blocking ports 80 and 443. I
> sent an email to the LVS mailing list, and if I understood correctly. You
> are not supposed to make calls / connections from the node is self.
>
> Based on my setup, will haproxy be able to help?
>
> Kind Regards
> Brent Clark

Hi,

I assume you have configured LVS in NAT mode, so it's normal your
servers can't reach the VIP.
Please have a look at this page:
http://blog.exceliance.fr/2011/07/22/layer-4-load-balancing-nat-mode/

In your case, the "client" will be in the same subnet of the server,
which means the server will try to reach it directly, bypassing the
LB.
The client would drop the packet because it comes from an unknown
source IP address (server IP instead of LVS VIP).

This will work with HAProxy, since you'll be in a proxy mode:
http://blog.exceliance.fr/2011/08/03/layer-7-load-balancing-proxy-mode/

With HAProxy, you'll have two connections established:
1. client to LB: "server IP" ==> VIP
2. LB to server: "HAProxy server IP" ==> "server IP"

Whatever the IPs are, they could even all be in the same subnet :)

cheers