I have a setup doing a lot of URL rewriting. I set up an ACL to match each string that I want to rewrite. When each one matches, it sends the request to a backend specific to that rewrite. All of the backends (over a dozen of them) have the same set of servers, each defined with 'check' in them.

This results in a lot of traffic just for checking -- pretty much continuous. It does not appear to be overwhelming the servers, but it does make for an incredible amount of noise in packet captures taken at the server. I was able to reduce it a little bit by changing the check interval to 20 seconds, but it's still pretty excessive, because it has to check the same servers over a dozen times during that 20 second interval. I do have spread-checks enabled with a value of 5. That value is arbitrary, the documentation said values from 2 to 5 tend to be good.

Is there any way to streamline the config so that I only need to define the server list once, and have it only check the servers once for every check interval? I'm running 1.4.18 for this, but I could run a 1.5-dev version if required.

Thanks,
Shawn