On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 12:49:59PM +0000, William Lewis wrote:
> I couldn't agree more, but I'm really in need of more concrete reasons for
> pushing back against this.

It is very possible that nginx could do the job right for you. That said,
the feedback we get from people who love haproxy for load balancing involves
its ability to better resist DDoS attacks, sustain higher loads, better
protect the web servers against traffic spikes, support for insane numbers
of ACL patterns, and insane numbers of SSL host names to deliver the proper
certificate (we already got reports of 50K+ certs loaded on a single listener
with no performance degradation). Also I don't know if nginx is able to proxy
websocket traffic in stable versions or not yet. However it's an excellent
web/application server.

You can tell your boss that many very large web sites use haproxy+varnish+nginx
together and use each of them for what it does best. There is no valid reason
for deciding to arbitrarily remove any of the 3 when they all excel in their
domain. I do think that only incompetent management would insist on cross-
dressing any of the 3 products above just for the sake of cost reduction while
they're both free !

Hoping this helps,