On 04/28/13 at 01:00PM -0400, S Ahmed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1.  Is there a way to update the config file without having to stop/start
> the haproxy service? e.g. when I need to update the ip addresses of the
> backend servers (using ec2)
>
> 2. During migrations, say I have 10 backend servers, what if I want to stop
> taking requests for 5 of the 10 servers, is the best way to update the
> config and just remove them?  Or is there a smoother transition somehow
> that won't causes errors during the transition?
> i.e. would it be possible to finish the requests, but stop responding to
> new requests for those 5 servers I want to take offline.

See https://code.google.com/p/haproxy-docs/wiki/disabled

You can restart HAProxy by e.g.:-D -p /var/run/haproxy.pid -f /etc/haproxy.cfg
-sf $(cat
/var/run/haproxy.pid)
Alternatively you could use the control socket by using socat:
https://code.google.com/p/haproxy-docs/wiki/UnixSocketCommands

So e.g. "disable server backend1/server1"
Or even via the stats interface with "stats admin if ...".

Christian Ruppert