> I guess this is a shortcoming of streaming and eventsource protocols,
> because there are two separate connections involved for each client,
> whereas for websocket and long-polling haproxy can tell for sure the
> connection breaks given there is only one connection.

I'm not familiar with those protocols, I would have guessed that the
same issue affects all those (long-) polling connections, where the
server delays its response until a specific event is triggered.

> I guess option abortonclose is also good to have in general, since
> it helps defend against DDoS attacks?

Thats depends on your backend application; if your server has long-
response times (whether aritifical like in the polling/streaming case
or due to a slow application) then yes; for small static files it doesn't
make sense I guess.

> I do not see much side-effect for turning it on

Its theoretically possibile that a client closes the session while waiting
for the response, which is why this behavior is not fully HTTP compliant
and thus disabled by default.

I don't believe this is a practical problem though, since browsers don't
behave this way.

Regards,

Lukas