On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 04:05:47PM +0000, Shervey, William E wrote:
> Just reading some of your work online that discusses replacing load balancers
> with haproxy.
>
> It looks like a great solution.  http://haproxy.1wt.eu/
>
> Unfortunately I am simply not smart enough to weed through the architecture
> details to decide whether the tool will work in my environment.
>
> Perhaps you can provide some insight for me.
>
> My servers are VM's and they run Windows Server 2008 R2.
>
> I am currently using load balancers and they sometimes introduce latency that
> causes primary servers to failover to secondary servers.

That sounds quite strange. Even the worst load balancer in the world
should not induce as much latency as a properly tuned VM, so if your
workload is highly sensitive to latency, well, remove the VMs first...
Or maybe your load balancer has a bug that is fixed in a more recent
version ?

> I'm wondering if haproxy or one of the other suggestions in the "Other
> Solutions" section would work for me?

It really depends on what causes the issues you're facing with your LB.
If your LB has a bug, it's possible that replacing it will help. If it's
just because it runs in a VM and the hypervisor is inducing huge latencies
or dropping packets, it won't help.

You can try to set up haproxy on a dedicated box to run some tests if
you want, it's easy enough and will cost you only a few amount of time.
If you're not experienced with Linux to set up a test machine, feel free
to go to http://www.exceliance.fr/en/ and request an evalation version
of the ALOHA. It's much easier to set up. The eval version will be
limited to a few connections per second but that will very likely be
sufficient to test the latency effects you're observing.

Best regards,