Here is my first attempt at this:

http://pastebin.com/xXfZJf3f

The diff is over http://git.1wt.eu/git/haproxy-1.4.git/ref
eb9632f7c6ae675bdee4c82eb0d298ba7f37fc52

To enable DNS checks on a server, the host name defined configuration
should be suffixed with "@ar", and checks must be enabled for the server
entry. For example:

server server1 hostname.com@ar:5432 check

Limitations so far:
- only somewhat tested. I'm yet to test the actual switch over, plus the
code that sends DNS queries through the queue has never been tested (my
requests always sink directly into socket buffer). There are probably DNS
- only the first nameserver entry is ever picked from resolv.conf

Sorry for dragging in uthash, I didn't find any hash-table implementation
in ha-proxy, or thought of a better way to index the server entries for
this.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.