Hi Michael,

Seems like you keep wanting to use the hdr(host), can i ask why?
You seem to explain you just want to stick 'src' to a 'server'.. So why configure hdr(host) ?

Can you try this config? (ps 60 seconds isnt verry long..)

listen http
  balance roundrobin
  stick-table type ip size 1000000 expire 60s
  stick on src
  server www01 127.0.0.1 check observe layer7
  server www02 127.0.0.2 check observe layer7
  server www03 127.0.0.3 check observe layer7

Greets PiBa-NL

Is there a way to limit the number of sticky connections to a single server? I would like to have all traffic to a given virtual host tend to end up on the same backend server, but also allow the traffic to spread to multiple servers if more than say 50 connections are already stuck to a given server. I do need sessions from individual ips to stay stuck, just new sessions from new ips to stick to a different host. I've considered a few options, but none of them seem to work.

The first option I tried was:

hash-type consistent
listen http
  balance hdr(host)
  stick-table type ip size 1000000 expire 60s
  stick on src
  server www01 127.0.0.1 check observe layer7
  server www02 127.0.0.2 check observe layer7
  server www03 127.0.0.3 check observe layer7

The problem with this is that all requests for 'host' seem to always route to the same backend node unless it fails out entirely and then it all moves to another single node. Perhaps that shouldn't surprise me, but it did.

I then considered this setup:

listen http
  balance roundrobin
  stick-table type ip size 1000000 expire 60s
  stick on hdr(host)
  server www01 127.0.0.1 check observe layer7
  server www02 127.0.0.2 check observe layer7
  server www03 127.0.0.3 check observe layer7

This also doesn't work and seems to result in basically the same thing as the first.

I've been reading through the docs, and I can't seem to come up with any way to do what I am trying to accomplish. I'm guessing that is because there is not. But I figured I would throw this out to the list before I scrap my plan and take a different route. Thanks!

--
Michael Johnson - MJ