Hi,

> I understand. Is this something that could be taken up for a
> future version?

Not a trivial thing todo. I think an internal resolver implementation
in haproxy would be needed, as gethostbyname() and friends are blocking
(nginx has its own resolver for example).

I don't think there are use cases other than yours to back an implementation
(of the resolver and the additional features you would need).

Like I said, HAproxy is not a real forwarding proxy. Some people still use
it a such, but its very limited.

> Also, what maxconn value do you recommend?

Depends on how much RAM you want HAProxy to use (and what you actually
need).

Try start playing with maxconn at 1000, use your "server <name> *:80"
config use all maxconns and check RAM usage. Finally, adjust maxconn
to something your box can live with, without swapping.

Regards,

Lukas