Hi Simon,

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:59:40PM +0800, k simon wrote:
> Hi,Willy,
>
> >Oh and BTW, are you running with PF ? I have some old memories of PF
> >abusively randomizing sequence numbers and preventing new connections
> >from being initiated using a same source port from the came client. It
> >was so odd that I had to disable it on my home reverse-proxy running
> >OpenBSD! That is easy to test, simply run "pfctl -d" to disable it and
> >test again.
> >

>   I have the similar trouble as John. But I used ipfw instead of pf, as
> of haproxy can not bind mss size on FreeBSD, maybe use pf's scrub rule
> is a good idea.
>   BTW, pf has a state named sloopy, it does not check sequence numbers.

It's not a matter of being sloppy or not, but of being excessive in
that it does not even accept valid packets generated by its own TCP
stack! I think that some important transitions are still missing from
its state machine. I remember having reported that issue for the first
time almost 10 years ago, when comparing Netfilter in 2.4.0-pre-something
with PF on OpenBSD 3. I don't know what else to say unfortunately, if
people believe that a firewall should block valid packets "just in case",
at least there's no place for such firewalls on my nor my customers'
servers!

Cheers,