Hi Vincent,

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 08:43:10PM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ??? 28 mai 2014 18:11 +0200, Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu> :
>
> > Feedback welcome as usual,
>
> When compiling with  -Werror=format-security (which is a common settings
> on a Debian-based distribution), we get:
>
> src/dumpstats.c:3059:4: error: format not a string literal and no format
> arguments [-Werror=format-security]
>     chunk_appendf(&trash, srv_hlt_st[1]); /* DOWN (agent) */
>     ^
>
> srv_hlt_st[1] is "DOWN %s/%s", so this is not even a false positive. I
> suppose this should be srv_hlt_st[0] but then it's better to just write
> "DOWN" (since it avoids the warning).

Huh, no, here it's "DOWN (agent)". We don't even have "%s", the only possible
arguments are %d. Could you please double-check ? Maybe you had local changes,
I don't know, but I'm a bit confused.

> It leads me to the next chunk of code:
>
>                       chunk_appendf(&trash,
>                                     srv_hlt_st[state],
>                                     (ref->state != SRV_ST_STOPPED) ?
> (ref->check.health - ref->check.rise + 1) : (ref->check.health),
>                                     (ref->state != SRV_ST_STOPPED) ?
> (ref->check.fall) : (ref->check.rise));
>
> Not all members of srv_hlt_st have %s/%s. I cannot say for sure how
> chunk_appendf work. Is that the caller or the callee that clean up? I
> suppose that because of ..., this is automatically the caller so the
> additional arguments are harmless.

They're %d/%d, not %s/%s. The extra args are ignored when not used by the
format string, just like printf does. In fact, chunk_appendf() does nothing
special, it just uses vsnprintf(), which itself only parses the format
arguments and depile them from the stack when needed.

Hoping this helps,