> having two different versions, we cannot rule out a problem there.

I did manage to do that. My captures (of my test requests) don't show an
improvement in wireshark's ability to decrypt.

I suspect that the actual handshake problem with the customer is on their
end. The certificate we were using in production was expired and had the
wrong host name in the subject, so we got a new one with the correct name.
They couldn't connect to that either. I now have placed that expired and
incorrect cert in haproxy's configuration, and I bet they'll be able to
connect to it now. I think their client is probably very stupid.

Because they're in Japan, it takes pretty much a full day for every little
tweak we make to get tested.  I hope we can get a more interactive testing
session going.

Thanks,
Shawn