On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Yosef Amir <amir.yo...@comverse.com> wrote:
> Hi HAProxy team,
> I have few questions related HAProxy 1.5.8. IMAP SSL health-check mechanism
> and configuration.
> For plain IMAP configuration (no SSl) the health-check for the backend
> servers with the logic of active/no-active server according the banner
> response seems to work just fine.
> I would like to know if I can get same IMAP health-check result/support for
> IMAP backend server support SSL.
>
> I would like to understand if the following is supported by HAPROXY 1.5.8
> health-check mechanism:
>
> HAProxy to open SSL connection to the IMAP server ( i.g on port 443).
> HAProxy to perform SSL negotiation and accept any certificate that the
> backend server send.
> After SSL negotiation HAProxy to check the IMAP banner (probably need to
> decrypt the server response)
> HAProxy to compare the banner response the predefine string (as works for
> plain test health check on port 143).
>

> Does HAProxy source/kit contains open SSL binaries? Can HAProxy work/linkage
> to existing open SSL on my Linux unit? How can I control it? Can I configure
> the HAProxy with the open SSL path that exist on my unit
>

> Thanks
> Amir Yosef

Hi Amir,

Thanks for posting in a new thread :)

So, first, you must compile HAProxy with OpenSSL support (install
first openssl librairies from your operating system).

Then the configuration of IMAP health check can be scripted through
the tcp-check feature:
 option tcp-check
 tcp-check connect port 143
 tcp-check expect string *\ OK
 tcp-check connect port 993 ssl
 tcp-check expect string *\ OK

Replace the expected string by the one sent by your server. Don't
forget to escape spaces in the expected string.

The example above applies on Exchange 2013 and is issued from the
HAProxy deployment guide for Exchange 2013 (page 39):
http://www.haproxy.com/static/media/uploads/eng/resources/aloha_load_balancer_appnotes_0065_exchange_2013_deployment_guide_en.pdf

Baptiste