Hello,

I published an article today on Yelp's engineering blog (
http://engineeringblog.yelp.com/2015/04/true-zero-downtime-haproxy-reloads.html)
that shows a technique we use for low latency, zero downtime restarts of
HAProxy. This solves the "when I restart HAProxy some of my clients get
RSTs" problems that can occur. We built it to solve the RSTs in our
internal load balancing, so there is a little more work to be done to
modify the method to work with external traffic, which I talk about in the
post.

The solution basically consists of using Linux queuing disciplines to delay
SYN packets for the duration of the restart. It can definitely be improved
by further tuning the qdiscs or replacing the iptables mangle with a u8/u32
tc filter, but I decided it was better to talk about the idea and if the
community likes it, then we can optimize it further.

-Joey