Hi Rémi,

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 05:45:43PM +0200, Remi Gacogne wrote:
> > Just a question, does it make sense to have different dh-param files
> > per key size so that depending on the cert key size we use a different
> > file, or are they totally decorrelated ?
>
> I used to think that it made sense, but clearly the trend is to
> decorrelate the two.

OK.

> RSA 1024 is (at last) being phased out, and we have
> seen on this mailing-list that a DH greater than 2048-bit is simply too
> costly for a lot of users.

OK so that means that probably people will prefer to build their own
DH-1024 to use with 2048 keys.

> I am pretty sure that there is no use anymore
> trying to adapt the DH size to the RSA key size. We should probably
> remove this logic in 1.6 and just use the size specified by
> tune.ssl.default-dh-param, regardless of what the RSA key size is.

That's fine by me.

> I didn't have enough time to implement the 3 patches I promised yet,

I'm not the one who will blame you for that, if you knew the number of
things I don't have the time to do!

> so
> here is the most important one for now, fixing the bug reported by Hervé
> Commowick. I think it should be backported to 1.5.

OK I merged it, I had to apply it by hand on 1.5 but it was OK.

> I added a small patch for 1.6 that add a destructor to clean up at exit
> the memory allocated internally by OpenSSL. It makes my life easier when
> using valgrind to check for leaks, so I figured it could be of interest
> to others as well :)

Thank you, I've applied it to both branches since people tend to debug 1.5
as well (especially distro maintainers who might get bug reports on their
own distro channels).

> I expect to be able to send the ssl-dh-param-file patch tomorrow, as it
> is mostly written (but not well tested yet), as well as the patch to
> move from 1024-bit DH to 2048-bit by default.

Great! Do you think it would make sense to backport the ssl-dh-param-file
to 1.5 ? I mean, will some users need this in the short term (or said
differently, may we use this as an incentive to be more careful about
that ?).

Also for 1.5.13 as I understand it, I should regenerate a new dhparam-1024
to get rid of oakley group 2. I'll need some directions on how to do this
correctly.

Thanks!