On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 05:54:51PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> I simply used "openssl dhparam <size>" as suggested, and am trusting
> openssl to provide something reasonably safe since this is how every user
> builds their own dhparam when they don't want to use the initial one.
>
> I have no idea how openssl does it internally, I'm not a cryptanalyst,
> just a user and I have to trust openssl not to fail on me.

openssl dhparam <size> can be assumed to do its job reasonably well. The
only problem is that with the default primes you are in effect a third
party generating the prime, and you cannot provide a certificate that the
prime you've put as default was indeed produced by this mechanism.

> > A paranoid user would believe that it has been generated by
> > (say) NSA, which convinced you to claim that it's random material
>
> Yes but such paranoid users also accuse everyone of much funnier things
> so I don't care much about what they believe.

Fair enough. I just point you at the relevant information, you're free to
do whichever way seems most appropriate to you. I agree that the paranoid
user would want to generate his own parameters anyway.

Best,

E.

P.S: openssl dhparams takes a while because prime testing is slow. At
least, algorithmically speaking, this is the difficult point.