Willy, all,
I am new to the list and let me use the chance and express my gratitude for
this wonderful piece of software. Truly amazing. Thank you Willy, thank you all
guys.
With few folks here we had some learning and already are experiencing quite
good results with HAProxy. Wanted to first of all share that during the tests
we achieved up to 45,000 requests per second on SSL on a single 1G box (with
same setup/hw below). isn't that amazing? :)
Also wanted to ask for your opinion or advise on how we can possibly improve
the setup further. It really feels like there is something more out there and
we could tune up the setup further.
Our use case is:- high request per second traffic (very high PPS/packet per
second)- HTTPS- hundreds of thousands of requests per second- gigabytes of
traffic /per second- currently handled by hardware LoadBalancers --> aim to
replace hardware LoadBalancers with HAProxy
What do we have currently in HAProxy:Rate: 26,000 HTTPS requests per second,
per single HAProxy serverCPU idle: 50%System avg load: 8Software IRQs %: ~10%
What would be great to have:- reduced system load- more idle CPU- ability to
push more bandwidth or more requests per second- no Software IRQs (or less),
possibly less context switches/interrupts
Do you think it's possible to further improve current setup
software/configuration wise?
Lots of details below.
Any help or advise is highly appreciated.
Thanks,Eduard
OS/HW  Debian 7.8  CPU: 2xE5-2630 2.30GHz (24 threads)  NIC: Intel i350-AM4 1
GbE Quad Port
TRAFFIC FLOW:  Traffic -> HAProxy Server Public Interface -> HAProxy Server
Private Interface -> Backend Server(s) Private Interface and back
BANDWIDTH: 38 MByte/s in, 40MByte/out (eth0 public, eth1 -
private)--net/eth0----net/eth1- recv  send: recv  send  24M   12M:  13M   28M
CONFIGURATION and STATS  sysctl: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=fiaKcA6P
haproxy.cfg: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=WvsWKfHa  /proc/interrupts:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=8xc3S0u5  mpstat 1 60:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=fD4R5wZR  Some more stats using sar and dstat:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=x4WBnaGBTCP Stats (avg):  Total: 9500
Established: 8150  Closed: 1000  Orphaned: 2  Timewait: 1000  Ports open: 5000
HA-Proxy version 1.5.12OpenSSL: openssl-1.0.2a
Compiled with:export LIBSSLBUILD=/tmp/libsslbuildOpenSSL:./config
--prefix=$LIBSSLBUILD no-shared no-ssl2 no-ssl3 -DOPENSSL_USE_IPV6=0 no-err
enable-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128 zlib
HAProxy:make TARGET=linux2628 CPU=native USE_PCRE=1 USE_OPENSSL=1 USE_ZLIB=1
USE_TFO=1 ADDINC=-I$LIBSSLBUILD/include ADDLIB="-L$LIBSSLBUILD/lib -ldl"