Hi,

there is no performance drop of loading from a file or directly in the
config file.
That said, if you have multiple ACLs with the same name loading many
IPs, then you'll perform as many lookups as you have ACLs... While
Anyway, there should not be any noticeable performance impact, since
IP lookup is very quick in HAProxy (a few hundred of nano second in a
tree of 1.000.000 IPs).

Concerning comments, any string after a dash '#' is considered as a
comment and not loaded in the ACL.

Baptiste