Hello list

I'm quite new to haproxy, and I've managed to use it with SSL passthru and as SSL termination. I've also startet looking into the code to find the answers or solutions to what I want to achieve.

I have OpenVPN and HTTPS running on the same port. This can be done with several setups whereof using the openvpn port sharing feature is the easiest.

But now I need to know the remote IP addresses in order to be able to lock out abusive access to the web server. Https used to be unharmed by exploitative access, but now it's getting a problem. With http, I can reduce the traffic by locking out ip adresses using fail2ban. With https, I cannot see the ip address, so there is no way to lock them out selectively. Any tool that does the backend switching cannot add an x-forwarded-for http header and be the SSL end point at the same time. Haproxy seems to be the only tool that might be able to handle both.

Looking at the code of haproxy, it seems to me that once I configure a bind with ssl, it just drops all connections that do not begin wih a SSL handshake. However, it seems to be feasible to alter the code in order to fall back to a non-ssl connection if the hadshake fails.

Has someone of you already tried to accomplish such, or am I missing a detail that makes this impossible?

Regards

Martin