> Am 01.10.2015 um 01:22 schrieb Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu>:
>

> I'd be tempted to place my judgement between yours and Jeff's. I'd say
> that if the company is already using the target OS on any other place,
> the cost of switching is low. If the load balancer is the opportunity
> to introduce a new OS, it's a bad idea. By nature a load balancer is
> very OS-dependant, and has bugs. Sometimes it's not trivial to tell
> if a bug is in haproxy or the underlying OS until you get network
> traces and/or strace output (BTW as far as I know, strace still doesn't
> support amd64 on FreeBSD). Mixing the two can cast a bad image on the
> new OS just because admins will initially not know well how to tune it
> for the load and to ensure stability, will not easily troubleshoot
> tricky issues, and a lot of frustration will result from this.

Probably.
But OP’s admin will have his reasons for wanting FreeBSD in the picture.
My guess would be that FreeBSD is the OS he’s more familiar with debugging.
FreeBSD has ktrace - and dtrace (if you know how to use it, that is…)

Here, most of our LBs run HAproxy on FreeBSD.
Sometimes, they’re not. Because…reasons ;-)

Why?
Well, historically, most LBs and reverse-proxies ran FreeBSD (with NGINX).
So it was more or less a „natural“ choice, with some pushing from my side
(cough).

FreeBSD has CARP.
Linux has keepalived.
etc.

I don’t think we’ll ever get so much traffic that either one will be superior
to the other. And I seriously doubt OP will.

FreeBSD 10.1 has most of the optimizations that Netflix uses turned-on out of
the box - but they do file-serving with NGINX.
In their (extreme) case, it works better.
Proxying/load-balancing is a bit different.

I like FreeBSD because I can get a very stable, simple, low overhead,
no-nonsense OS with a reasonable shelf-live and update-cycle while still being
able to get up-to-date packages directly from upstream.

> You should expect roughly the same performance on both OS so that is
> not a consideration for switching or not switching. Really keep in
> mind the admin cost, the cost of it being the exception in all your
> system and possibly different debugging tools. It's very likely that
> it will not be a problem, but better be aware of this.

That’s what you get by hiring a FreeBSD guy.
If OP had hired a CentOS guy, I bet he'd want to switch everything to CentOS
(or even Atomic Server…)
;-)