Before I get started with this, I know and acknowledge that the problem
I'm trying to solve is not in haproxy.  I suspect that haproxy cannot do
what I'm going to ask, but I was asked if it could do it, so I am
passing the question along to make sure.

We are having a problem with our Liferay webapp (running in tomcat,
fronted by apache) where it sometimes returns a completely blank page.
If the user refreshes, it works.  Near as I can tell, when this problem
happens, the response that haproxy gets from Apache only contains
headers, the body is empty.

Can haproxy be configured to retry the request if it gets an empty
response body from the server?

Thanks,
Shawn