Hi, I have a hopefully quick question about setting up backends for
resolvable internal service addresses.

We are putting together a cluster on Google Container Engine (kubernetes)
and have haproxy deployed in a container based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Our backend server specifications are declared using an internal resolvable
service name. For example:

logdata-svc
logdata-svc.default.svc.cluster.local

Both of these names correctly resolve to an internal IP address in the
range 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, as shown by installing dnsutils into the container
and running nslookup on the name prior to starting haproxy:

Name: logdata-svc.default.svc.cluster.local
Address: 10.179.xxx.xxx

However regardless of whether I use the short form or fqdn haproxy fails to
start, emitting the following to stdout:

[ALERT] 288/041651 (52) : parsing [/etc/haproxy/haproxy.cfg:99] : 'server
logdata-service' : invalid address: 'logdata-svc.default.svc.cluster.local'
in 'logdata-svc.default.svc.cluster.local:10000'

We can use IPV4 addresses in the config, but if we do so we would be giving
up a certain amount of flexibility and resilience obtained from the kubedns
service name resolution layer.

Anything we can do here? Thanks!

--
Mark Betz