Dear Willy,

Thank you for your insights.  As you advised, below is the output of
haproxy -f …cfg -db -V.

We are starting HAProxy as root.  There is no other application running
on this server  dedicated for load balancer.  ‘netstat -apon’ suggests
that these ports are not used by any other system process.

HAProxy 1.6.0 was compiled from source in the server environment:
Centos 7.1, and dynamic loading of (Lua 5.3.1, PCRE 8.32, OpenSSL
1.0.1e, zlib 1.2.7)

HAProxy 1.5.14 runs smoothly on this same server and with the same
configuration.  HAProxy configuration (same for both 1.5.14 and 1.6.0)
is given below.  Any insights / pointers for us to further investigate
and resolve this issue would be appreciated.

+++++++
Debug output of HAProxy 1.6.0
+++++++
Available polling systems :
       epoll : pref=300,  test result OK
        poll : pref=200,  test result OK
      select : pref=150,  test result FAILED
Total: 3 (2 usable), will use epoll.

[ALERT] 292/025305 (4402) : Starting frontend webapps-frontend: cannot
create listening socket [0.0.0.0:80]
[ALERT] 292/025305 (4402) : Starting frontend webapps-frontend: cannot
create listening socket [0.0.0.0:443]
[ALERT] 292/025305 (4402) : Starting proxy haproxystats: cannot create
listening socket [Server_IP:xxxx]
Using epoll() as the polling mechanism.

++++++++++
Haproxy configuration
++++++++++
global
     log         127.0.0.1 local2
     pidfile     /var/run/haproxy.pid
     user        haproxy
     group       haproxy
     #daemon
     debug
     chroot      /var/log/haproxy/
     stats socket  /var/log/haproxy/haproxy.stats
defaults
     mode        http
     option      abortonclose
     option      http-server-close
[….]
frontend webapps-frontend
     bind          *:80 name xxx
     bind          *:443 name yyy ssl crt /path/to/server.pem
[….]
listen haproxystats
     bind          Server_IP:xxxx
[….]