Hi Paul.

Am 14-11-2015 14:00, schrieb Paul Menzel:
Dear HAProxy folks,

I am using a Docker setup to serve Web application using a database.

HAProxy, the Web app and the database each run in a separate Docker
container.

The HAProxy container is than started with the command below.

docker run --detach --name haproxy --link webapp:webapp myimages/haproxy

The goal is to have zero downtime deployments.

Now the problem is, that each time the Web app container is replaced by
a container run from a newer version, the HAProxy container has to be
stopped an started again so that the link works. This is certainly not
desired.

I search the Web for documentation and how-tos but couldn’t find
anything directly related to my issue. Do you know of such write-ups,
which I might have missed due to the generic key words.

Do you have any experiences with serving Web apps with HAProxy using
Docker links?

Should I stop using that “technology” and do things differently?

You can take a look into kuberbetes, openshift or similar frameworks for docker management.

http://getcloudify.org/2015/06/11/orchestration-docker-cloud-automation-openstack-heat-tosca-kubernetes.html

https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes

http://kubernetes.io/v1.1/docs/user-guide/replication-controller.html#rolling-updates

https://github.com/openshift/origin

https://docs.openshift.org/latest/dev_guide/deployments.html

Due to the fact that this frameworks use docker inside you can reuse some of the dockerfiles.

I use this openshift stuff with rolling updates.

BR Aleks

Thanks,

Paul

[1]