On 01/04/2016 04:20 μμ, Andrew Hayworth wrote:
> Hi there -
>
> Have you considered HAProxy in multiprocess mode? You could have a
> frontend spread across multiple threads that terminates SSL. We're
> experimenting with such a design here.

It has been mentioned before that you can increase capacity[1] by using:
- latest Intel CPUs
- Openssl 1.0.2g version or higher
- enable multiprocess mode
- PIN HAProxy to CPU processes
- stop irqbalancer and PIN network interrupt queues to CPUs, using Intel
10GbE cards makes this very easy
- tune HAProxy and OS
- Enable RFC5077 TLS Session Resumption, tricky in distributed setup
- Deploy ECC certificates and enable ECC ciphers.

I managed to achieve 450K HTTPS/sec with object size 1K using 22 cores
out of 24. Disabling HT and use 10cores gave me 370K HTTPS/sec. HT is
disabled for now in our systems.

I wouldn't offload ssl to hardware as they are like blackbox. You don't
know what they do and how vulnerable they are.

Cheers,
Pavlos

[1] number of https/sec while CPU utilization(user+sys level) <=70%
why 70%? because you want to have some room to handle attacks, failures
on other nodes/DCs, mistakes by devs( a typo somewhere can increase
number of requests and cause a DDOS...)