Hi guys,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:42:26AM +0200, Lukas Tribus wrote:
> Not fixing *real world issues* because we don't agree with the use-case or
> there is a design misconception somewhere else is dangerous. We don't have
> to support every single obscure use-case out there, that's not what I am
> saying, but systemd is a reality; as is docker and periodic reloads.
(...)

Thank you both for your insights. There are indeed valid points in both
of your arguments. I too am afraid of breaking things for people who do
really abuse, but at the same time we cannot blame the users who get
caught by systemd lying to them. I really don't care about people who
would reload every 2 ms to be honnest, but I'm concerned about people
shooting themselves in the foot because they use very large configs or
because as you say Lukas, they accidently run the command twice. This
is something we used to deal with in the past, it's hard to lose this
robustness. I've seen configs taking minutes to start (300k backends),
reduced to a few seconds after the backends were moved to a binary
tree. But these seconds remain a period of uncertainty and that's not
nice for the user.

I think the patch I sent this evening covers both of your concerns. It's
quite simple, relies on a process *closing* a file descriptor, which also
covers a dying/crashing process (because I never trust any design consisting
in saying "I promise I will tell you when I die"). And it doesn't
significantly change things. I'm really interested in feedback on it.
Pavlos, please honnestly tell me if it really scares you and I'd like
to address this (even if that means doing it differently). Let's consider
that I want something backportable into HAPEE, you know that users there
can be very demanding regarding reliability :-)

I'm really open to suggestions. I absolutely despise systemd and each time
I have to work on the wrapper I feel like I'm going to throw up. So for me
working on this crap is a huge pain each time. But I'm really fed up with
seeing people having problems in this crazy environment because one clueless
guy decided that he knew better than all others how a daemon should reload,
so whatever we can do to make our users' lifes easier in captivity should
at least be considered.

Cheers,