On 14/03/2017 05:24 μμ, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi Pavlos,
>
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 04:43:26PM +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Debian testing with openssl 1.1.0e, I get the following warnings when I
>> compile 1.7 and 1.8:
>> https://gist.githubusercontent.com/unixsurfer/9c42361822f23cfe36f3b2169133b551/raw/4665476fdfb2a94d287814a2c8a36215cbebb465/gistfile1.txt
>
> Yes these ones are known and for now we don't have any workaround. It
> seems openssl 1.1 wants us to drop support for older TLS versions, but
> we definitely can't do that so we'll have to live with the warnings :-/
> I couldn't find a way to make them disappear.

No worries, it compiles at the end and haproxy starts:-)

>> When I compile 1.6 I get errors and compilation fails:
>> https://gist.githubusercontent.com/unixsurfer/4476410bbbaf2192af591123f4388850/raw/a733808a3028f0c9d7f53f4e699da6de3ae18969/gistfile1.txt
>
> This is indeed expected, openssl 1.1's API is very different from 1.0.
>
>> I compile it with:
>> make clean;make TARGET=linux2628 USE_PCRE=1 USE_OPENSSL=1 USE_ZLIB=1
>> USE_PCRE_JIT=1 USE_TPROXY=1
>>
>> Am I the only seeing these warnings/errors? Searched on ML and someone
>> mentioned
>> that haproxy 1.6 wont support 1.1.0 version of openssl, is this accurate?
>> Having
>> openssl 1.0.2 and 1.1.0 on my personal development machine is fine, so zero
>> problems here if 1.6 does not support openssl 1.1.0 version.
>
> Yes that's accurate. The risk of breakage is far too high for this to be
> backported to 1.6. With 1.7 not much different from 1.6, we'll have all
> people willing to explore openssl 1.1 users upgrade to haproxy 1.7 with
> very limited risks (and BTW some of the bugs currently affecting 1.7 are
> also on 1.6 and are in fact uncovered by some fixes for bugs that were
> hiding other ones).

I fully understand the situation, I will compile 1.6 against openssl 1.0.2
version
on my Debian testing box. I am not using 1.6 version at all, too old :-), but I
am
reshuffling code in haproxyadmin python lib and I want to make sure it
works with older versions of haproxy.

Thanks for the reply,
Pavlos