On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 05:39:28PM +0200, Holger Just wrote:
> >> Once verified, I think this converter can be safely added to the
> >> supported stable versions of HAProxy.
> >
> > Yes I think it can make sense to backport it at least to 1.7, it can
> > help sometimes.
>
> That would be much appreciated. I think a backport even down to 1.6 is
> pretty risk-free given that the structure there hasn't changed much
> lately and the patch applies cleanly even on 1.6.0.

I have no fear about it being backported to 1.6, the thing is that we
normally don't backport any feature anymore to stable branches due to
the terrible experience in 1.4 where too much riskless stuff was
backported, then fixed, then removed etc... making each subsequent
version a pain for certain users. In practice we tend to be a bit
flexible and to backport very small stuff that makes people life's
easier or the whole process more reliable (eg: config warnings,
ability to quit after a delay on reload), but clearly I don't want
to do it past the last release. The reason is simple : if some users
are still on 1.6 instead of 1.7, it's precisely because they don't
want to get a single change unless it's a real bug. There are some
places where changelogs and patches are all read one by one (and
non-reg tests run for some time) before deciding to upgrade.

And this gives incentive to users of older releases to start to
consider new ones :-)

Cheers,