From: Norman Branitsky [mailto:norman.branit...@micropact.com]
Sent: June-27-17 10:44 AM
To: haproxy@formilux.org
Subject: HAProxy failover - DNS change cached by IE for a long time

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to
be. Learn about spoofing<http://aka.ms/LearnAboutSpoofing>

Feedback<http://aka.ms/SafetyTipsFeedback>

Using the NS1 managed DNS service, I monitor the health of 2 HAProxy 1.7.7
servers defined as peers.
NS1 checks the health of the HAProxy servers every 30 seconds.
If haproxy1 fails to respond, NS1 changes the DNS response to point to haproxy2.
When haproxy1 comes back online, NS1 reverts the DNS response to haproxy1.
NS1 checks the health of my Java application server every 60 seconds.
NS1 DNS records looks like this:

haproxy1 A record

haproxy2 A record

tm1      CNAME record "Dynamic" - NS1 "filter" returns the first in the list of
all health haproxy servers

vr       CNAME record pointing to tm1 - name of the Java application server

If I connect to my Java application with Chrome or Firefox, I often don't
notice the haproxy DNS failover.
If I do get a connection error, it almost always reconnects within seconds.
I don't lose my session.

If I connect to my Java application with IE (only tested IE10 mode so far), the
haproxy DNS failover cause a DNS error.
This error won't clear for at least 20 minutes.
If I open a new tab I connect instantly.
Since the JSESSIONID cookie is still available, I'm still logged in but
obviously not on the same data entry page.
What can I do to kick IE in the head and cause it to refresh its DNS cache?
It doesn't seem to respect the TTL value.

Norman

Norman Branitsky
Cloud Architect
MicroPact