On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 02:19:19PM -0700, Kevin McArthur wrote:
> TL;DR; The point is the haproxy needs to be able to properly pass on the SNI
> value if its going to verifyhost/verifypeer (even on the check's)... in this
> case the checks dont pass along a sni value, and dont validate a verifyhost
> coming back from the default. Thats probably ok as the purpose of the check
> is just to make sure the host is up, but my concern here would be changing
> behavior going forward.

We try hard never to change behaviours without requiring a config change.
This is important because load balancing is never easy and you don't want
stuff to change below your feet at a moment you don't remember anymore what
needed to be addressed. That's also why wee keep a lot of stuff that some
people think are useless but they are used by a few people. For this reason
we try to limit addition of possibly useless features (less forward
compatiblity to take care of).

> If a check is going to validate its sni/hostname
> going forward I'll have to figure out some sort of self-signed setup for the
> internal.* domains that cant easily be letsenc'd. Alternatively you guys can
> add check-ssl-verifypeer none option or similar, or change the behavior of
> verifyhost to match a default rather than be an override.

After a night on it, I now think I'll try to go down that route. But probably
not today.