Hi Aleks,

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 11:18:54PM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark Staudinger wrote on 08.08.2017:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I have a multi-tenant HAProxy set-up loosely as follows
> >
> > frontend main
> >    bind ip:port
> >    various options
> >    ACLs to match domains (client1, client2, etc)
> >    use_backend client1 if client1
> >    use_backend client2 if client2
>
> How about to add here a defaults section with some default-server lines?

I think Mark's use case is different, what he needs is to have maxconn for
the physical server, shared between all backends. We discussed this idea a
few times in the past, around a "same-as" server directive, indicating that
the same limit ought to be used. It's not very difficult to implement but
is still a bit tricky, as any server releasing a connection should notify
all other ones with a non-empty pending connection queue that they may have
some work to do. And it will not necessarily ensure fairness, but it's
workable.

In fact I'd really love to have this done in 1.9, as with more dynamic farms
comes the difficulty of resource management, and what's the best place than
the load balancer to optimize this ?