Hello,

Am 05.09.2017 um 10:00 schrieb Willy Tarreau:
> Hi Aleks,
>
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 09:34:07AM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have anyone seen KTLS also?
>>
>> https://lwn.net/Articles/666509/
>>
>> https://netdevconf.org/1.2/papers/ktls.pdf
>>
>> looks pretty interesting.
> As I already mentionned (I don't remember to whom), I really don't see *any*
> benefit in this approach and only problems in fact. By the way, others have
> attempted it in the past and failed.

I agree, when we are talking about the haproxy use case (which is
always network to network).

I do find the combination between sendfile and ktls is very interesting
though, for web servers that are waiting for the disk, especially
event-loop based software like nginx.

For haproxy on the other side symmetric crypto performance is not the
problem; asymmetric crypto performance (the handshake) is, because it
it is blocking the event-loop.

Pushing the handshake to worker thread(s) is a possible solution to this,
and I guess would probably eliminate the main reason people have to use
nbproc > 1 today.

I believe this was discussed before and is indeed something Willy has
on his mind.

How difficult the OpenSSL API makes this, I'm not sure. The documentation
certainly leaves "room for improvement" in regard to threading:

https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2017/02/21/threads/
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/2165

cheers,

lukas