Hi ​Thierry,

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 8:16 AM,
​​
Thierry Fournier <tfourn...@arpalert.org> wrote:

> > On 2 Nov 2017, at 21:56, my.card....@web.de wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the attached patch implements authentication against an LDAP Directory
> Server. It has been tested on Ubuntu 16.04 (x86_64) using libldap-2.4-2 on
> the client side and 389-ds-base 1.3.4.9-1 on the server side. Add
> USE_LDAP=1 to your make command line to compile it in.
> >
> > What do I have to to, to get this functionality integrated within the
> next offcial haproxy release?
> >
> > I'm currently trying to figure out, how to pass commas ',' and bracket
> '(', ')' as arguments to http_auth_ldap. Do you have any hints for me on
> this topic?
> >
> > Feedback is very welcome!
>

> Hi, thanks for your patch.
>
> I already tried to add ldap authent in haproxy, but unfortunately the
> OpenLDAP library is only available in blocking mode. Unfortunately (again)
> OpenLDAP seems to be the only one lib LDAP available. So during the
> processing of the sample fetch “http_auth_ldap”, the following functions
> perform some network request and block HAProxy.
>
>  * ldap_initialize (maybe)
>  * ldap_simple_bind_s
>  * ldap_search_ext_s
>
> HAProxy is blocked waiting for LDAP response, so during this time HAProxy
> no longer process more HTTP requests. This behavior is not acceptable under
> heavy load.

​How about cases that have light load :-). I've been asking/waiting for
this feature for ​a long time and think it is (going to be ) a very
valuable addition to haproxy. Anyway, if you had experienced some issues
with the lib I wonder what is the way Apache and Nginx are doing it without
any performance impact? (or so we think?)

Maybe I would argue that as a feature it should be included in haproxy
anyway and be left to the users to opt for using it or not, with heavy
warning about possible performance impact.

> Two way for performing LDAP authent:
>
>  * easy: look for SPOE protocol. You just write a mulithread server which
> listent HAProxy for SPOE, perform LDAP request and return response. You
> will fond an example of a SPOE server in the contrib directory. I gueess
> that an SPOE contrib for LDAP authent will be welcome.
>
>  * difficult: make you own LDAP payload (very hard with v3 and crypto) and
> write a code for using socket like SPOE or Lua cosoket
>
> Best regards,
> Thierry
>

> > Kind regards,
> >
> >       Danny