Hi Nick,

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 08:27:29PM -0800, Nick Galbreath wrote:
> Hello Adis,
>
> We could certainly add another API/Lua function but it might be easier to
> change
>
> luaL_checkinteger(L, 2) in
>
>  tmout = MAY_LJMP(luaL_checkinteger(L, 2)) * 1000;
>
> to  luaL_checknumber(L, 2), along with appropriate cast to int.
>
> Then we have backwards compatibility, less documentation to write, and get
> millisecond timeouts.

At least it seems important to round up non-null values to the next
millisecond, otherwise we may observe busy loops when users specify
sleep delays smaller than the millisecond, as haproxy's internal
clock is millisecond-based (poll()'s resolution).

> If people want a separate API, I'm happy to do that too, just more work.

I think it should work as you propose it, more or less the round up of
course.

> Please advise, and I'll make a patch either way.  I'm unfamiliar with the
> HAProxy development process, so any tips or pointers are welcome,

It's important to CC the subsystem maintainer when submitting a change,
since they are supposed to have the last word on submissions in their
area. This is done here since Thierry maintains the Lua area. Please
carefully read CONTRIBUTING in the sources directory, it's not very
long and will help you ensure that all your patches are easily merged.
And you're welcome to propose changes to this file if something is
unclear :-)

Thanks,