On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 01:26:35AM +1100, Igor Cicimov wrote:
> Or you meant using the haproxy 16.04 image actually. Ok, another option is
> to compile it myself with the openssl version I have atm.

What mostly matters is the version used to *build* haproxy, because
some features have to be known at build time. If you pick an haproxy
package made for a more recent distro using 1.0.2 or later, it will
enable ALPN. Whether or not it will work on your current distro with
your locally rebuilt openssl is a big question of course.

You should definitely avoid building openssl yourself, it's the best
way to forget about upgrading it when a vulnerability is disclosed.
However if you're already doing it for other reasons it's different
and then maybe you can build your own haproxy with this openssl
version. But as Lukas said, the easiest solution is to upgrade the
distro :-)