Hi Dirkjan,

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 at 15:35, Dirkjan Bussink <d.buss...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With the release of OpenSSL 1.1.1, TLS 1.3 is now also available. It already
> is working fine in my testing with HAProxy 1.8, there is however one issue.
> Currently there is no way to control the ciphers for TLS 1.3 from HAProxy, as
> according to the OpenSSL documentation, ciphers are handled by a separate
> method for TLS 1.3 compared to TLS 1.2 and earlier:
>
> https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.1/man3/SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list.html
>
> SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list() sets the list of available ciphers (TLSv1.2 and
> below) for ctx using the control string str.
>
> SSL_CTX_set_ciphersuites() is used to configure the available TLSv1.3
> ciphersuites for ctx.
>

> Before I jump into writing code for this, I’m wondering what the approach is
> that HAProxy wants to take here. Should a similar options as todays `ciphers`
> option be made available in HAProxy to control the TLS 1.3 ciphers? If so,
> what should that be named?
>
> Or is another approach preferred here? For example by still using the
> `ciphers` configuration setting, but by then filtering out ciphers that start
> with `TLS13` and set those separate with `SSL_CTX_set_ciphersuites`?

Definitely not some by string matching, openssl could have done
exactly that, they choose to make a new API call instead, and they
expect applications to introduce new configuration knobs or use the
generic configuration interface SSL_CONF, so no, let's not get crazy
with string magic here and expose the API as-is to the users
(SSL_CTX_set_ciphersuites() or the generic SSL_CONF().

I assume we don't have to change anything regarding groups/curves,
although they implemented the new SSL_CTX_set1_groups() call, but if I
understand correctly SSL_CTX_set1_curves_list() works just as well
with TLSv1.3, right?

Thanks,
Lukas