On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 03:00:32PM +0100, Janusz Dziemidowicz wrote:
> pt., 4 sty 2019 o 11:59 Olivier Houchard <ohouch...@haproxy.com> napisa??(a):
> > I understand the concern.
> > I checked and both nghttp2 and nginx disable the replay protection. The idea
> > is you're supposed to allow early data only on harmless requests anyway, ie
> > ones that could be replayed with no consequence.
>
> Sorry for the late reply, I was pondering the problem ;) I'm pretty ok
> with this patch, especially since others seem to do the same. And my
> use case is DNS-over-TLS, which has no problems with replays anyway ;)
>
> However, I believe in general this is a bit more complicated. RFC 8446
> described this in detail in section 8:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8446#section-8
> My understanding is that RFC highly recommends anti-replay with 0-RTT.
> It seems that s_server implements single use tickets, which is exactly
> what is in section 8.1. The above patch disables anti-replay
> completely in haproxy, which might warrant some updates to
> documentation about allow-0rtt option?

Hi Janusz,

Yes indeed, I thought I documented it better than that, but obviously I
didn't :)
The allow-0rtt option was added before OpenSSL added anti-replay protection,
and I'm pretty sure the RFC wasn't talking about it yet, it was mostly saying
it was a security concern, so it was designed with "only allow it for what
would be safe to replay", and the documentation should certainly reflect that.
I will make it explicit.

Thanks a lot !

Olivier