On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 01:35:19PM +0100, Luke Seelenbinder wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> We recently started using HAProxy to act as a first point of entry for most
> of our traffic. We initially set it up with H2 + HTX frontend and H1.1
> backend; however, this led to some strange behavior consistently reproducible
> on one page.
>
> Whenever we loaded this page
> (https://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?currsection=new&mediatype=MP4) a we
> would get a series of H2 protocol errors (SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR, as reported by
> Chrome) for images stored on media-cloud.sermonaudio.com (running on the same
> server / ip as www.semronaudio.com). Disabling HTX fixed the problem. Our
> configuration is quite simple, just a few ACLs for redirection and forcing
> SSL. I initially thought the issue could be related to the number of objects
> being loaded (just over 100), so I tuned h2.max-concurrent-streams, but that
> had no effect. This is observable in both 1.9.4 and the latest (as of two
> days ago) 1.9 git branch.

That's a bit weird. I don't see what could cause a decoding error in HTX
that doesn't happen without. I'll check if I can spot different code paths
between HTX and legacy that could cause such errors to be emitted. One
thing that could happen would be if in one of the htx decoding functions
we end up reading a wrong amount of data sometimes, causing the stream to
be desynchronized, but I really don't see where that would happen.

> I did not observe the issue on any other page but my search was not
> exhaustive. It also never occurs on an individual request when made with
> curl, for example.

OK that's useful info, it avois the usual "strange, works for me" after the
first succcessful test :-)

> I would be able to stand up a server that has the same configuration with HTX
> enabled for testing, if that would be helpful, you would have to provide the
> /etc/hosts entries, though. :)

Might be. Let me take a look at the code first. Maybe I'll ask you to
retry with a different version or to try a patch.

Thanks,