Hi Jeff,

If the file is only stored in the FS and you can't put its content into
HAProxy's memory at run time (using a map as explained by Jarno), then you
may want to use SPOE.
So the blocking files IO will be done in a process running outside of
HAProxy.
You have an SPOA (agent) example in HAProxy's source code, written in C.
If you want an SPOA in an other language, I would say "stay tuned" :)

Baptiste