On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 03:03:23PM +0200, Olivier Houchard wrote:
> > > I can't seem to remember :)
> >
> > Given the number of bugs we've dealt with in the last few weeks, you're
> > forgiven :-)
> >

> I'm afraid I'm getting old :/

Ah! you see how it feels!

> > > I think that patch is safe to backport anyway, but I wouldn't swear it
> > > solves
> > > Maciej's issue.
> >
> > OK. I'll take it then so that we can study the situation under better
> > conditions if the problem happens again. It may be possible that we've
> > also overlooked other situations where this infinite loop could happen
> > with SUB_CALL_UNSUBSCRIBE and that were addressed by your patch.
> >

> Yes it is certainly possible it helps, I just can affirm it with confidence.

This is why I prefer to take it. The amount of changes that went into 1.9
was significant enough to get such hard-to-debug issues. As long as fixes
don't harm, I prefer to take them than having to fight one full week with
a bug just to discover that it was already fixed upstream.