Ilya Shipitsin wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 03:22:20 -0700:

>I guess the same would be with BoringSSL. It exposes OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER
>and it is not openssl itself.
>
>yes, we can add warning.

I wouldn't bother even trying to add support for BoringSSL - they themselves
discourage people from doing so in their mission statement:

"Although BoringSSL is an open source project, it is not intended for general
use, as OpenSSL is. We don't recommend that third parties depend upon it. Doing
so is likely to be frustrating because there are no guarantees of API or ABI
stability.

Programs ship their own copies of BoringSSL when they use it and we update
everything as needed when deciding to make API changes. This allows us to
mostly avoid compromises in the name of compatibility. It works for us, but it
may not work for you."

Regards,
Bob