On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 04:01:27PM -0500, Dave Chiluk wrote:
> We are in the process of evaluating upgrading to 1.9.8 from 1.8.17,
> and we are seeing a roughly 70% increase in sockets in TIME_WAIT on
> our haproxy servers with a mostly idle server cluster
> $ sudo netstat | grep 'TIME_WAIT' | wc -l

Be careful, TIME_WAIT on the frontend is neither important nor
representative of anything, only the backend counts.

> Looking at the source/destination of this it seems likely that this
> comes from healthchecks.  We also see a corresponding load increase on
> the backend applications serving the healthchecks.

It's very possible and problematic at the same time.

> Checking the git logs for healthcheck was unfruitful.  Any clue what
> might be going on?

Normally we make lots of efforts to close health-check responses with
a TCP RST (by disabling lingering before closing). I don't see why it
wouldn't be done here. What OS are you running on and what do your
health checks look like in the configuration ?