On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 04:54:44PM +0200, GARDAIS Ionel wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> As far as I can remember, 1.9 had a series of segfaults involving H2 and HTX,
> patched from release to release.
> [ http://www.haproxy.org/bugs/bugs-1.9.6.html |
> http://www.haproxy.org/bugs/bugs-1.9.6.html ]
>
> As a rule of thumb, I can only suggest you try with the latest 1.9 release
> (that is 1.9.12 as of today) and see if segfaults happen again.

Seconded! Since 1.9 we've faced very complex conditions triggering some
sleeping bugs like these. One of the issues reported in Olivier's trace
was related to the improper locking of connections that was fixed some
time ago.

When facing any bug (not only a crash), the first thing to do is to make
sure you're up to date. If you don't update, it is guaranteed that the
bug you've faced will be able to appear again under the same conditions.
If you update, you have a chance that it was fixed. And if not, developers
can immediately look at the issue without first asking to update.

Based on the recent history with such complex bugs, I predict we'll
probably face one, maybe even two other bugs of this level of severity
in very rare conditions before 1.9 reaches EOL but overall the long code
audit that started some time ago helped address causes more than
consequences, even if that leads to more difficult backports. And
despite such few issues, the internal processing in 1.9 and 2.0 is way
cleaner, safer and more correct than previous versions, so it's really
strongly recommended to stay up to date.

Cheers,