On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 9:22 AM Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu> wrote:

> Hi Lukas,
>
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 05:23:38PM +0100, Lukas Tribus wrote:
> > Currently this debug converter is only enabled when DEBUG_EXPR is
> > defined at build time (which is different than other debug build
> > options and unclear from the documentation).
> >
> > This moves the patch to the default build, so everyone can use it.
>
> I was thinking about repurposing this converter to use the ring buffer
> instead, so that it can be used even with live traffic and let one
> consult some history from the CLI. We could then have a few info
> such as the request ID, and config file+line number where the
> converter is present, followed by the pattern.
>
> We could imagine adding one (or multiple) optional arguments to force
> the output to another destination (e.g. stdout, stderr, other ring),
> and maybe another one for the format or to prepend a prefix. Then most
> likely we'd use the ring buffer by default as it's the least impacting
> one and the only self-sustaining output. And probably that we could
> switch to stderr by default in backports (or make it mandatory to
> force the destination).
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Cheers,
> Willy

Hi,

My 2 cents.
I personally use a lot this converter, si I'd be more than happy to get it
available in default built!

I think Willy's idea to route its output wherever we want is great too for
production purpose.
Can we also use an env variable? So we can easily switch from stdout to
ring buffer without updating the config file?

Baptiste