Hi,

HAProxy 2.2-dev4 was released on 2020/03/09. It added 124 new commits
after version 2.2-dev3.

That's another round of updates and cleanups accumulated over the last
two weeks. The updates mostly focused on 6 fronts this time:

  - ACL: the unique-id generation used to be extremely slow (O(n^2)) and
    take a lot of time to start when dealing with many ACL patterns. That
    was reworked by Carl Henrik Lunde and is now typically 100+ times
    faster. It will likely be backported to 2.0 once it has been shown not
    to cause any side effect.

  - Lua: Lua-declared actions can now yield, not in the Lua way but at
    least in the haproxy way, in that, just like other actions, they may
    signal they can't proceed and need to wait so that they are evaluated
    again later. In addition it is now possible to write filters in Lua
    so that it should require less ugly and unreliable tricks (don't ask
    me how however, I haven't looked yet).

  - SSL/CLI: dynamic update of certificates in crt-list used to be limited
    to those without filters. Now those involving filters can be updated
    as well using "set ssl cert".

  - random/UUID: we've got some insightful complaints that UUID were far
    from being unique in multi-process environments! And this is true,
    since the randoms were poorly seeded and were not re-seeded after the
    fork, due to the fact that randoms were only used to spread health
    checks in the past. In addition I discovered that most random()
    implementations were not even thread-safe. So we now have a pseudo-
    random number generator that's thread safe and which properly uses
    different seeds on different processes. This will be backported as
    far as 2.0 where UUID was backported.

  - polling: we still used to observe a performance degradation compared
    to 1.7 on the number of syscalls used per requests on a connection
    in keep-alive mode (there were several epollctl() calls per request).
    These were significantly improved now so that we can now have less
    calls by avoiding needlessly unregistering events. The difference is
    visible in extreme scenarios where there were thousands times more
    connections than run-queue-depth and these connections were
    experiencing frequent requests, like when using very interactive
    services.

  - watchdog: the watchdog that detects deadlocks and kills a runaway
    process used to depend both on Linux and threads. Now it also works
    on FreeBSD and/or when threads are disabled. It's important since
    there seems to be a fair number of users on FreeBSD, so we can now
    improve the reliability there as well.

  - backtraces: on operating systems where this is possible and relevant,
    when the watchdog triggers, a call trace will be produced in best
    effort. Till know we only used to know what task was running, this
    was a bit limited and a number of backtraces still couldn't be
    exploited without gdb and a core. Now at least on Linux/x86_64 and
    arm64 by default, and FreeBSD/x86_64 when compiled with USE_BACKTRACE=1
    we'll get a detailed backtrace with function names+offsets and/or
    pointers. This should improve issue reports where known bugs will have
    more chances of being recognized and this might help developers
    understand the issue without bothering the reporter asking for a
    core dump.

There's still quite some work to do before 2.2 (roughly 2.5 months ahead).
If you still have secret patches on your side, it's the last moment before
the window closes at the end of the month with dev5, after which only the
ongoing stuff will be merged. I noticed Tim's extensions to pass unique
IDs in PPv2 on the list, I'm also aware of some ongoing work on idle
connections and SSL, and I remember that a few other less impacting points
were discussed, such as syslog over TCP and a few adjustments to errorfile
and return directives.

Now let's beat it hard.

Please find the usual URLs below :
   Site index       : http://www.haproxy.org/
   Discourse        : http://discourse.haproxy.org/
   Slack channel    : https://slack.haproxy.org/
   Issue tracker    : https://github.com/haproxy/haproxy/issues
   Sources          : http://www.haproxy.org/download/2.2/src/
   Git repository   : http://git.haproxy.org/git/haproxy.git/
   Git Web browsing : http://git.haproxy.org/?p=haproxy.git
   Changelog        : http://www.haproxy.org/download/2.2/src/CHANGELOG
   Cyril's HTML doc : http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/

Willy
---
Complete changelog :
Bjoern Jacke (1):
      DOC: fix typo about no-tls-tickets

Björn Jacke (1):
      DOC: improve description of no-tls-tickets

Carl Henrik Lunde (1):
      OPTIM: startup: fast unique_id allocation for acl.

Christopher Faulet (30):
      MINOR: contrib/prometheus-exporter: Add the last heathcheck duration
metric
      BUG/MINOR: http-htx: Do case-insensive comparisons on Host header name
      MINOR: mux-h1: Remove useless case-insensitive comparisons
      MINOR: buf: Add function to insert a string at an absolute offset in a
buffer
      MINOR: htx: Add a function to return a block at a specific offset
      MINOR: htx: Use htx_find_offset() to truncate an HTX message
      MINOR: flt_trace: Use htx_find_offset() to get the available payload
length
      BUG/MINOR: filters: Use filter offset to decude the amount of forwarded
data
      BUG/MINOR: filters: Forward everything if no data filters are called
      BUG/MEDIUM: cache/filters: Fix loop on HTX blocks caching the response
payload
      BUG/MEDIUM: compression/filters: Fix loop on HTX blocks compressing the
payload
      BUG/MINOR: http-ana: Reset request analysers on a response side error
      BUG/MINOR: lua: Abort when txn:done() is called from a Lua action
      BUG/MINOR: lua: Ignore the reserve to know if a channel is full or not
      MINOR: lua: Add function to know if a channel is a response one
      MINOR: lua: Stop using the lua txn in hlua_http_get_headers()
      MINOR: lua: Stop using the lua txn in hlua_http_rep_hdr()
      MINOR: lua: Stop using lua txn in hlua_http_del_hdr() and
hlua_http_add_hdr()
      MINOR: lua: Remove the flag HLUA_TXN_HTTP_RDY
      MINOR: lua: Rename hlua_action_wake_time() to hlua_set_wake_time()
      BUG/MINOR: lua: Init the lua wake_time value before calling a lua function
      BUG/MINOR: http-rules: Return ACT_RET_ABRT to abort a transaction
      BUG/MINOR: http-rules: Preserve FLT_END analyzers on reject action
      BUG/MINOR: http-rules: Fix a typo in the reject action function
      MINOR: cache/filters: Initialize the cache filter when stream is created
      MINOR: compression/filters: Initialize the comp filter when stream is
created
      BUG/MINOR: rules: Preserve FLT_END analyzers on silent-drop action
      BUG/MINOR: rules: Return ACT_RET_ABRT when a silent-drop action is
executed
      BUG/MINOR: rules: Increment be_counters if backend is assigned for a
silent-drop
      BUG/MINOR: http-rules: Abort transaction when a redirect is applied on
response

Emmanuel Hocdet (5):
      MINOR: ssl: move find certificate chain code to its own function
      MINOR: ssl: resolve issuers chain later
      MINOR: ssl: resolve ocsp_issuer later
      MINOR: ssl/cli: "show ssl cert" command should print the "Chain Filename:"
      MINOR: ssl: add "ca-verify-file" directive

Ilya Shipitsin (5):
      BUILD: cirrus-ci: suppress OS version check when installing packages
      DOC: configuration.txt: fix various typos
      DOC: assorted typo fixes in the documentation and Makefile
      BUILD: cirrus-ci: get rid of unstable freebsd images
      DOC: assorted typo fixes in the documentation

Jerome Magnin (1):
      BUG/MINOR: http_ana: make sure redirect flags don't have overlapping bits

Lukas Tribus (1):
      BUG/MINOR: dns: ignore trailing dot

Miroslav Zagorac (2):
      CLEANUP: contrib/spoa_example: Fix several typos
      CLEANUP: remove unused code in 'my_ffsl/my_flsl' functions

Tim Duesterhus (13):
      BUG/MINOR: sample: Make sure to return stable IDs in the unique-id fetch
      REGTEST: Add unique-id reg-test
      MINOR: stream: Add stream_generate_unique_id function
      MINOR: stream: Use stream_generate_unique_id
      MINOR: ist: Add `IST_NULL` macro
      MINOR: ist: Add `int isttest(const struct ist)`
      MINOR: ist: Add `struct ist istalloc(size_t)` and `void istfree(struct
ist*)`
      CLEANUP: Use `isttest()` and `istfree()`
      MINOR: ist: Add `struct ist istdup(const struct ist)`
      MINOR: proxy: Make `header_unique_id` a `struct ist`
      MEDIUM: stream: Make the `unique_id` member of `struct stream` a `struct
ist`
      BUG/MAJOR: proxy_protocol: Properly validate TLV lengths
      CLEANUP: proxy_protocol: Use `size_t` when parsing TLVs

William Lallemand (3):
      BUG/MEDIUM: ssl: chain must be initialized with sk_X509_new_null()
      MINOR: ssl/cli: support crt-list filters
      MINOR: ssl: reach a ckch_store from a sni_ctx

Willy Tarreau (61):
      MEDIUM: buffer: remove the buffer_wq lock
      BUG/MINOR: h2: reject again empty :path pseudo-headers
      MINOR: wdt: always clear sigev_value to make valgrind happy
      MINOR: epoll: always initialize all of epoll_event to please valgrind
      CLEANUP: fd: remove the FD_EV_STATUS aggregate
      CLEANUP: fd: remove some unneeded definitions of FD_EV_* flags
      MINOR: fd: merge the read and write error bits into RW error
      MINOR: rawsock: always mark the FD not ready when we're certain it happens
      MEDIUM: connection: make the subscribe() call able to wakeup if ready
      MEDIUM: connection: don't stop receiving events in the FD handler
      MEDIUM: mux-h1: do not blindly wake up the tasklet at end of request
anymore
      BUG/MINOR: arg: don't reject missing optional args
      MINOR: tools: make sure to correctly check the returned 'ms' in
date2std_log
      MINOR: debug: report the task handler's pointer relative to main
      BUG/MEDIUM: debug: make the debug_handler check for the thread in
threads_to_dump
      MINOR: haproxy: export main to ease access from debugger
      MINOR: haproxy: export run_poll_loop
      MINOR: task: export run_tasks_from_list
      BUILD: tools: remove obsolete and conflicting trace() from standard.c
      MINOR: tools: add new function dump_addr_and_bytes()
      MINOR: tools: add resolve_sym_name() to resolve function pointers
      MINOR: debug: use resolve_sym_name() to dump task handlers
      MINOR: cli: make "show fd" rely on resolve_sym_name()
      MEDIUM: debug: add support for dumping backtraces of stuck threads
      MINOR: debug: call backtrace() once upon startup
      BUG/MINOR: wdt: do not return an error when the watchdog couldn't be
enabled
      BUILD: Makefile: include librt before libpthread
      MEDIUM: wdt: fall back to CLOCK_REALTIME if CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME is not
available
      MINOR: wdt: do not depend on USE_THREAD
      MINOR: debug: report the number of entries in the backtrace
      MINOR: debug: improve backtrace() on aarch64 and possibly other systems
      MINOR: debug: use our own backtrace function on clang+x86_64
      MINOR: debug: dump the whole trace if we can't spot the starting point
      BUILD: tools: unbreak resolve_sym_name() on non-GNU platforms
      BUILD: tools: rely on __ELF__ not USE_DL to enable use of dladdr()
      BUILD: makefile: do not modify the build options during make reg-tests
      BUG/MEDIUM: connection: stop polling for sending when the event is ready
      MEDIUM: stream-int: make sure to try to immediately validate the
connection
      MINOR: tcp/uxst/sockpair: only ask for I/O when really waiting for a
connect()
      MEDIUM: connection: only call ->wake() for connect() without I/O
      OPTIM: connection: disable receiving on disabled events when the run
queue is too high
      OPTIM: mux-h1: subscribe rather than waking up at a few other places
      BUG/MINOR: connection/debug: do not enforce !event_type on subscribe()
anymore
      DOC: fix incorrect indentation of http_auth_*
      BUG/MINOR: ssl-sock: do not return an uninitialized pointer in
ckch_inst_sni_ctx_to_sni_filters
      MINOR: debug: add CLI command "debug dev write" to write an arbitrary size
      BUG/MINOR: init: make the automatic maxconn consider the max of soft/hard
limits
      BUILD: buffer: types/{ring.h,checks.h} should include buf.h, not buffer.h
      BUILD: ssl: include mini-clist.h
      BUILD: global: must not include common/standard.h but only
types/freq_ctr.h
      BUILD: freq_ctr: proto/freq_ctr needs to include common/standard.h
      BUILD: listener: types/listener.h must not include standard.h
      BUG/MEDIUM: random: initialize the random pool a bit better
      BUG/MEDIUM: random: implement per-thread and per-process random sequences
      Revert "BUG/MEDIUM: random: implement per-thread and per-process random
sequences"
      MINOR: tools: add 64-bit rotate operators
      BUG/MEDIUM: random: implement a thread-safe and process-safe PRNG
      MINOR: backend: use a single call to ha_random32() for the random LB algo
      BUG/MINOR: checks/threads: use ha_random() and not rand()
      MINOR: sample: make all bits random on the rand() sample fetch
      MINOR: tools: add a generic function to generate UUIDs

---