Hi Willy,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 10:03 PM Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 12:35:12PM +0200, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> > Hi ????,
> >
> > Suddenly today the build is again green here!
> > I didn't make any changes to my testing setup.
> > It must be something on the OS level but I wasn't able to figure out what
> > makes the HAProxy tests timeout in the last several days.
>
> We've had issues with the abns test on other platforms in the past,
> namely s390x and ppc64le. It used to occasionally break on x86_64 as
> well but far less frequently. It was affected by two bugs that were
> solved yesterday after a few days of investigation and testing. We've
> seen yet another failure again on ppc64 while it was expected not to
> fail, so I'd be careful before claiming victory. However the abns
> test is extremely time sensitive and uses short delays around 15ms to
> try to trigger the issue, and in a VM it is possible to see this
> happen from time to time due to noisy neighbors. That's why I'm
> staying extremely prudent on the verdict. The PPC64 machine I tested
> on is provided by Minicloud and is a VM running on a real CPU, so it's
> much less affected by timing issues. I've run the test several hundreds
> of times in a row and couldn't make it fail anymore.
>
> So don't worry too much if it appeared and disappeared. The change
> that emphasized it was the increase in default maxconn (304e17eb8),
> apparently just due to a slightly longer startup time! And the ones
> expected to have fixed it are between bdb00c5d and 4b3f27b included.
>
> Note that I didn't manage to make it fail on arm64 (real machine,
> SolidRun's Macchiatobin).
>
> Hoping this clarifies the situation.
>

Thank you for this explanation!

The problem here was that the tests were failing even with older commits.
I've tried to git bisect the problem but no matter how far back in Git
history I went the problem was still there. But the logs from the tests
runs from just few days back were OK, no errors & timeouts.
Also the ARM64 tests on TravisCI were OK. And Travis's ARM64 nodes are less
powerful than mine VM.
Those are the reasons I believe that the problem was at my VM.
I just needed help with reading HAProxy's tests error logs. I didn't know
how to approach debugging them.

Regards,
Martin


>
> Regards,
> Willy
>

Reply via email to