On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 07:19:14PM +0200, Tim Düsterhus wrote:
> Willy,
>
> Am 22.05.20 um 17:16 schrieb Willy Tarreau:
> >   - new "http-error" directive and unification with the "return", "deny"
> >     and "tarpit" rules. This means that it's now possible to handle a
>
> Is there any functional difference between 'return' and 'deny' now or
> can 'deny' be considered deprecated?

Deny remains present because it will increment the "denied" stats counter.
Also "http-request deny" with no argument continues to do what the users
expect by default.

> >     deny or a return exactly the same way by specifiying headers and body
> >     independently using raw text or log-format, and that all processing
> >     errors can now be dynamic. I know this used to be a very long awaited
> >     feature which will for example allow to define errorfile templates
> >     which embed a unique ID or at least be a bit more user-friendly.
>
> Sweet. I always wanted to embed the unique ID in the error messages.

Oh, rest assured you're not the only one! I don't count the number of
times we've been responding "not yet but we're getting closer" :-) Even
just for this it could have been worth slightly postponing the release
IMHO. I suspect some people will use this combined with variables and
maps to be able to deliver per-hostname error pages. It might not be
trivial but it may be fun!