Sounds like the biggest part of hot restarts is the cost of leaving the old
process running as they have a lot of long running TCP connections, and if
you do a lot of restarts the memory requirements build up.  Not much of an
issue for short lived http requests (although it would be nice if keep
alive wasn't followed on the old haproxy processes so they could die
quicker).