On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 09:17:29AM -0600, Jim Freeman wrote:
> stock 1.8.19 (which runs fine) doesn't also use cmpxchg16b ?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Older_implementations

By default threads were not enabled in 1.8, so there were no
atomic ops. And indeed it died on it :-/

> May be time for a new motherboard (or a Pi4?) ...

Or you can rebuild to run in single-thread mode. I really didn't know
there were any such x86_64 machines without cmpxchg16b, and the way we
use implies that it's not even remotely an option to optionally enable
it. Given that it's the first report in 3.5 years and that the article
above mentions that even Windows 8.1 requires the instruction, I'd
rather stay like this. If we figure an easy and reliable method to
detect it (probably via CPUID if we want to be cross-os), we could
refuse to start and suggest to rebuild with thread support disabled.

But yeah, depending on your use case, this could be a good excuse to
invest in a different machine (and Pi4 will work fine). Other low-end
fanless x86 devices can be pretty good as well (e.g. UP Boards with
Atom x5-8350 or Celeron J4105 can do wonders even in fanless mode).